Scroll down for video, a transcript, how to subscribe, and more
Our guest today is Dan Varnum, an Executive Coach with his company Varnum Group. After 30+ years as an executive leading large and small healthcare organizations, Dan has shifted his time to focus exclusively on my passion – developing executive leaders to reach their full potential.
Dan has a Bachelors of Science in Industrial Engineering from Iowa State University and a Masters in Business Administration from Drake University.
In today's episode, host Mark Graban talks with Dan about topics including:
- What are you currently doing and what role did you retire from?
- How has an education in industrial engineering and business helped you in your career path?
- Why get an MBA vs MHA or MPH?
- Why are projects not enough to change culture?
- Why is developing people such a passion for you?
- What’s the leader’s role in creating culture?
- Why does culture beat strategy?
- Why is self awareness such an important leadership trait?
- Why is leadership development, especially for MDs, so crucial?
Podcast Main Page:
In future episodes, you'll hear discussions with guests including:
- Roxanna Gapstur: President and CEO, WellSpan Health
- More interviews and discussions, coming every other week here in 2021.
- This podcast is part of the #LeanCommunicators Network.
To make sure you don't miss an episode, be sure to subscribe today! Please rate and review the podcast.
Mark Graban is a Senior Advisor for Value Capture and has served healthcare clients for over 15 years. Mark is internationally recognized as a leading author and speaker on Lean healthcare. He is the author of books including Lean Hospitals: Improving Quality, Patient Safety, and Employee Engagement, Healthcare Kaizen: Engaging Front-Line Staff in Sustainable Continuous Improvements, and Measures of Success: React Less, Lead Better, Improve More. He is also host of our “Habitual Excellence” podcast. Mark's full bio